Doughnuts……ah yes, chocolate doughnuts. So good. Even better when they involve white chocolate peppermint bark.
Lovely Disclaimer: I was able to reduce the sugar content of the doughnuts with the help of Monk Fruit In The Raw. I received a free sample from the Cumberland Packing Corp., maker of Monk Fruit In The Raw. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Cumberland Packing Corp., and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Let’s get to that recipe.
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Bark Doughnuts
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup Monk Fruit in the Raw
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water- let rest for five minutes before using)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (room temperature)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp coconut oil- separated
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vegan white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes (to avoid artificial colorants, choose organic)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat doughnut pan with cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients (oat flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- Mix flax egg, applesauce, milk (room temperature to avoid hardening the melted coconut oil), 3 tbsp melted coconut oil, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes. (Baking for a shorter amount of time will leave you with a more brownie-like texture.) Let doughnuts fully cool.
- In a shallow bowl, melt white chocolate chips and 1 tbsp coconut oil in microwave (about 25 seconds). Place crushed candy canes in a shallow bowl.
- When doughnuts are fully cooled, dip first in the white chocolate, then in the crushed candy canes.