Have you made a pumpkin spice smoothie yet this fall? If not, get on that! The LSP version of the pumpkin spice smoothie incorporates turmeric, a bright yellow spice that contains the powerful curcumin compound. Curcumin has numerous health benefits including decreasing inflammation, reducing oxidative damage, and improving brain function. Read more about turmeric here.
In the spirit of The Recipe Redux’s October spice theme (check out other health blogger’s spice recipes using the blue link below), I urge you to start adding turmeric to your smoothies (either in spice or minced turmeric root form). This fall-inspired pumpkin smoothie is the perfect starting point!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp turmeric
- a few drops liquid stevia (to taste)
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender.
- Blend until completely combined.